Giving up on a book

>> Sunday, April 3, 2011

I'm giving up on a book, unwilling to plough on - 100 pages and I still remain unengaged and uninterested. I will therefore delete 'Guns, Germs and Steel' from my Reading List (right column). The premise of the book is interesting enough. In the authors own words, the essence of the book in one sentence is "History followed different courses for different peoples because of differences among peoples' environments, not because of biological differences among peoples themselves."And indeed iti s quite fascinating to learn that geographical attributes for example proximity or barriers like ocean (to other civilisations), whether the land is suitable for agriculture, natural resources, and weather contributed to mankind history (for example, who invaded who and why not the other way). Perhaps its the way the facts are presented, that made the book seems a bit too academic for my liking. I felt as though I was reading a textbook and a few times I literally fell asleep. The book didn't give me the same excitement, the feeling of anticipation, looking forward to the next available opportunity to pick it up again and resume reading from where I left it, which is one of the many joys of reading.

Do you have qualms about giving up on a book once you started reading it? I used to, I admit. But I soon realize that time is too limted (and thence, life is too short) to be spent reading something I don't want to read. About ten years ago, I gave up on Tolkien's Lord of the Rings after about 200 pages of the first book. Somehow, I couldn't follow the narration. Am I glad they made the movies based on the books. More recently, I gave up on Tetsuko Kuroyanagi's Totto-chan's translation into Bahasa Indonesia, because I found it less 'smooth' to read because I'm not fluent on the language. Another one is Asam, Garam, Gula & Kopi by Abd Jalil Ali which is a collection of articles, half of which pretty interesting but not the other half, and in most cases I found myself disagreeing with the author's approach.

Which books have you given up on?

9 comments:

m-i-o April 3, 2011 at 11:40 PM  

ehhh....totto-chan ada versi indonesia? where can i get the book?

i read totto-chan free version on the net. tapi sy print out dulu on recycle paper dan baca sikit2 as reading from the screen really hurts my eyes.

bas,  April 4, 2011 at 2:16 PM  

aku gave up my first dave eggers-What is the what, sebab could not engage, and aku gave up on the road to kandahar (jason burke) sebab tulisan kecik sgt, and aku gave up naguib mahfoudz, the nobel prize winner sebab tak tercapai akalku, aku ada entry pasal ni if u remember

aku gave up tash aw's harmony silk factory, aku tak ingat kenapa

have you given up an author?

Ummu Auni April 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM  

The Monk who sold his Ferrari (menyesal beli)

m-i-o April 5, 2011 at 1:46 AM  

ummu auni - the monk who sold his ferrari tak best ke? hihihi.

i used to like that book soooo much, i keep on talking about the book regularly.

but nowadays, when i try to reread the book - rasa macam - ehhh kenapa aku suka sangat buku ni dulu?! krisis identiti betul :P

Siti M April 5, 2011 at 1:46 AM  

mio,
saya pinjam ummu auni punya. kalau jadi ambil bibik, boleh pesan minta dia belikan hehe :) i'm looking for the english translation.. saya pun tak suka baca from computer. tak syok.. takleh baca sambil baring2 hehe :)

bas,
aiks, baca sebab tulisan kecil sgt pun ada? logiklah tu.. yes, i remember your blogpost pasal nobel prize winner tu.. i have given up on authors. but at the moment i can't recall who pulak woops :)

ummu auni,
ada terbaca org yg suka buku tu. well, lain orang lain taste, naturally.. i once picked up this book kat kedai, but decided not to buy.

kukuanga April 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM  

dear,
would you be so willing to be parted with that book? Diamonds and Kuroyanagi?

i am very keen to read them both.

Siti April 7, 2011 at 1:15 AM  

hi kukuanga,

i'm so sorry to disappoint you but i'm afraid both books belong to my friends, so i'm not able to offer to sell/lend you the books :(

hope you'll find them elsewhere!

Ummu Auni April 11, 2011 at 4:32 AM  

m-i-o. i read only 10 pages, and then give it up. masa tu di MPH distributors warehouse sale. sampai sekarang tak sambung :P

yup, the totto chan belongs to me! Nak buat macam mana, kalau dah namanya hantu buku, pergi indonesia pun beli buku :p

wah! mynie, looks like you're cross running with books now :P. nak pinjam gladwell and nama beta sultan alauddin :D

Siti April 13, 2011 at 7:26 AM  

ummu auni,
hehe :) agak byk masa lapang utk baca buku. alhamdulillah..

Post a Comment

ABOUT ME

emel.siti@ gmail.com

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP