I'm officially a fan of Flavia de Luce!

>> Sunday, July 15, 2012

"Inspiration from outside one's self is like the heat in an oven. It makes passable Bath buns. But inspiration from within is like a volcano: It changes the face of the world." This quote is taken from the book 'The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag' written by Alan Bradley. I like this quote for what it is, but it doesn't really give any idea on what the book is about.


The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag is the second book in the Flavia de Luce series, and I'm hooked! There's 4 books altogether now, and I will certainly look for them. This book started a bit slow, with the author style of giving every character the background story, but the pace picked up after one of the characters was murdered, which was about halfway through. Yes, it's a whodunnit. Did I mention that I love to read whodunnits? To me it's like a puzzle, where readers are supposed to guess, well, who did it. And Flavia de Luce is such a brilliant little girl! She's only 11 yet she's so good with chemistry and solving mysteries. Yes, I know she's a fictional character, but still I admire her nonetheless :)

The book is reminiscent of some of Agatha Christie's works, not because of the style of writing, but perhaps because of the place and era chosen as the background. Surprise surprise, a movie or TV movie is being made from the stories.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT ME

emel.siti@ gmail.com

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP