Diversified reading?

>> Tuesday, May 18, 2010

KNV, I’m replying to your comment as a post by itself :) In my previous post, she remarked that I’m diversified (my reading, I presume she meant).

Someone who knows me personally would be surprised to know that my favourite genre is crime (or whodunit, as mentioned in previous post) thriller. I don’t like murders to happen in real life, really, just in fiction. What I found interesting about crime thrillers are not in the gory details of the murder itself, but by the puzzle presented – who did it? And how? And why? I try to guess as I read along, but sometimes I just follow the story. But to tell you the truth, I prefer a simple story – where the murder motives are simply money, love or revenge. (Oh, the glory of Agatha Christies’ stories.) Pyschologically-motivated murders somehow is too ‘complicated’ for me.

Aside from crime thrillers, I also enjoy other types of thrillers, science (like Michael Crichton), medical (like Robin Cook), Dan Brown, adventures. But not really legal (like John Grisham), war or politics. I like Jeffrey Archer, though I’m not sure what his genre is called.

I also like drama, people and romance (not necessarily love story – think Jodi Picoult or Paolo Coelho or Habiburrahman El-Shirazy or Bedar Sukma Bisu by Faisal Tehrani or The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger). What’s this genre called anyway? Occasionally, I go for chick flicks or something light, for when I just want to unwind and not think. I used to read love stories (like Judith McNought) and historical romance back in secondary school days, but I think I’ve grown past that stage now.

Thirdly, I read science fiction and fantasy fiction, too, though this is more MH’s alley. But no horror fiction for me please (or horror movie, for that matter heh).

Those are fiction. For non-fiction, I like to read essays (various topics, general interest/knowledge), self-motivations or personal development, and books on Islam.

What about you? What’s your favourite genre?

7 comments:

knv May 18, 2010 at 5:35 AM  

memang tak sangka! :D

btw, do you read maeve binchy? i used to go crazy over her books dulu, and surprisingly i found myself start reading her, again!

she's a dubliner. so territory dia mostly dublin, ireland, england, etc. agaknya bila dok sini baru all the places she normally write about come to real sense.

Aina Ana May 18, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

I read mostly:
a. Fiction - Crime, mystery, thriller, adventure, fantasy, people & hardship (life) (The likes of Patricia Cornwell, Stieg Larsson, Mary Higgins Clark, Dan Brown, Clive Cussler - I collect almost all of these authors books)

b. Non-fiction - monetary, motivations, leadership

Mamaboyz May 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

my fav genre is memoirs- obvious tak? first section at bookshop or lib aku akan pegi kat autobiography dulu

tapi aku suka gak thriller-grisham n sidney sheldon, robin cook aku terpaksa suka (kahkahkah) aku ada 4 buku dia walaupun sebenarnya aku rasa dia sedikit boring sebab dia suka explain panjang lebar/in detail.

kalau fiction aku suka yang setting kat negara2 mcm China (tak tau apasal), tibet, Afghan and middle eastern.

and poetry i like chinese and persian poetry

Siti May 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM  

knv,
pernah baca one or two masa kat uni dulu. can't really remember what i thought about her books, tapi mcm tak cari lagi je heh..

ainaana,
mmg action-packed habis.. ingat dulu nak cuba pinjam satu buku clive cussler akak utk cuba tapi tak terpinjam lagi..

bas,
interesting - memoirs, not many ppl punya first choice! i used to avoid this genre, but recently i'm opening up to it. i guess it's a matter of choosing who to read about i guess.
masa pergi times booksale baru2 ni, pegang jugak autobio nelson mandela, tpi selak2 mcm sgt 'political', letak balik.. it's not that i'm anti-politics, tapi i get bored quickly..

Mamaboyz May 20, 2010 at 2:40 AM  

hah, that's why aku tak baca lagi obama punya buku walaupun review mcm bagus sgt, tapi cerita orang biasa2 lagi best (can relate more)-mcm travelog haji prof MKI, eat pray love, the good women of china (xinran)- i dont really mean a proper autobio yg ada gambar tuan punya badan je as cover :)-mcm byk celebrity punya buku, but in lib they put these books in the autobio section, so that's why i head there first

Siti,  May 20, 2010 at 3:35 AM  

drwati,
and it's also cool that you like poetry. aku so far rasa biasa2 je.. ada lah yang aku suka, tapi takdelah aku mencari. kalau rajin nnt share lah some of your favourite poems ye.. :)

Ummu Auni June 1, 2010 at 12:41 AM  

you should try jennifer weiner, i particularly like 'in her shoes'

satu lagi, cecilia ahern, especially 'where rainbow ends' (ingat yang kita cuba terjemah dahulu?)

Post a Comment

ABOUT ME

emel.siti@ gmail.com

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP